July 14, 2017

DIY Tie Dye

We decided nearly a year in advance to make tie dye shirts for Independence Day this year.  So I pinned ideas on Pinterest all year and watched YouTube videos about how to do it.   I also checked  Dollar Tree every time we went in until I found white shirts in all the right sizes.  :)

With all our supplies ready and 42 YouTube videos watched, we set up and got ready.

Miles liked the gloves that came with our kit.

Cooper chose the 'swirl' pattern, which looks like this once it's ready to dye.

Miles chose stripes.  I wanted to make a flag pattern on Owen's.  Miles was kind enough to let me borrow some of his marbles so that I could use them like the YouTube tutorial suggested.  (For the 'stars')

Then we took everything out to the garage and started dying!

Owen was with us, which makes projects a bit trickier.  He really wanted to play in the water I'd brought out for rinsing dye off our gloves.

After all the tutorials we watched, the boys knew what to do...  ha.  They had a lot of fun with it.

Cooper did his after Miles finished up.

I don't have a photo, but once we got the dye on them, we sealed the shirts in bags and let them sit overnight.

Then rinsed them out the next morning.
(After the water runs clear, it's time to run them through the washing machine)

All three, ready to go!
 

We had to talk Owen out of wearing it right away.  (Miles too, actually!)

If you have nearly four minutes to watch mass chaos of tie dying...  here is a little of the video the boys took during this project!   (and a dance party when they got bored while waiting on me to come back out to the garage!)

Time to decide what we'll do for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment